Have you ever detected that certain challenge in a server’s delivery of what has become a standard question at high end restaurants: “would you like still or sparkling water”? Then after a pregnant pause, for effect, they will finish the sentence: “…or tap”.
I feel at times it’s a bullying technique. My heart goes out to some diners, who I will forever think of as ‘guests’, going to a restaurant for a special occasion; they’ve saved for the experience, they are in an environment that is not natural to them, and then they are pressured to spend $20 on WATER!
Here are some thoughts about our* water, perhaps the best tasting water in the nation.
- At a New York restaurant a bottle of water costs up to $8.
- At some restaurants, servers will not ask you about additional bottles of water…they’ll just keep pouring!
- The FDA has finally (April-12) implemented some Current Good Manufacturing Practices for bottled water.
- Some bottled water is regulated LESS than “Bloomberg” water.
- There is no fluoride in bottled water.
- DRINKING TAP WATER IS GREEN, bottles need to be recycled.
Next time the question comes up about what type of water you’d like, proudly order NYC tap water.
Your reward: spend an extra Hamilton, or Jackson, on your wine.
*We are blessed, here in NYC – please note that in many parts of the world you shouldn’t even trust the ice cubes! Check out your cities water rating.