My commitment to Base Hits to Better Health℠ is trying at times. I struggled early-on with certain aspects of pledges I’d made to myself. A huge hurdle was strategizing how to meet the USDA suggestion of consuming 5-9 portions of fruits and vegetable each day.
What’s a portion?
• A portion of fruit is either a medium size fruit or a ½ cup of fruit.
• A portion of vegetables is either a ½ cup of cooked vegetables or 1 cup raw vegetables.
• Bonus points for choosing colors representing the spectrum of the rainbow.
I was having a tough time getting past the five portion mark and then I stumbled on a delicious and addictive solution. One portion of V-8 juice constitutes two portions of fruits/vegetables. AND, the colorful ingredients are red (tomato, beets) green (spinach, celery, lettuce, watercress, parsley) and orange (carrots)
I wasn’t crazy about the taste. So I doctored it up.
Enter the Dirty Virgin: It’s my spin on the Virgin Mary with olive juice a la dirty martini for some pop.
Check it out, and adapt to your tastes.
- 1 oz. fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Szechwan pepper (or any other pepper), to taste
- 1 tsp. olive juice
- 8 oz. low sodium V-8
Mix all ingredients, garnish with olives, or celery, or pickles, or cucumbers, or poached shrimp.
And on the weekend, add a shot of gin for a down and dirty bloody!