My commitment to Base Hits to Better Health℠ is trying at times. I struggled early-on with certain aspects of the pledges I’d made to myself. A huge hurdle was strategizing how to meet the USDA suggestion of consuming 5-9 portions of fruits and vegetables each day.
What’s a portion?
• A portion of fruit is either a medium-sized fruit or a ½ cup of fruit.
• A portion of vegetables is either a ½ cup of cooked vegetables or 1 cup of raw vegetables.
• Bonus points for choosing colors representing the spectrum of the rainbow.
I was having a tough time getting past the five-portion mark and then I stumbled upon a delicious and addictive solution: One portion of V8 juice constitutes two portions of fruits/vegetables. AND, the colorful ingredients are red (tomato, beets) green (spinach, celery, lettuce, watercress, parsley) and orange (carrots).
I wasn’t crazy about the taste. So I got creative and doctored it up.
Enter: The Dirty Virgin: It’s my spin on the virgin Bloody Mary with olive juice a la Dirty Martini for some pop.
Check it out, and adapt it to your tastes.
- 1 oz. fresh-squeezed lemon or lime juice
- Tabasco sauce, to your taste
- Ground Szechwan pepper (or any other peppercorns), to your taste
- 1 tsp. olive juice
- 8 oz. Low-Sodium V8
Mix all ingredients, garnish with olives, or celery, or pickles, or cucumbers, or poached shrimp.
And on the weekend, add a shot of artisanal gin for a down and dirty Bloody!